Wednesday 22 May 2013

The Great Gatsby.

I haven't got any recent photos to share or anything particularly exciting to talk about. But last night, I went and saw my first French dubbed film!
I saw the Great Gatsby, and at the last moment, switched which theatre I was going to as it was raining. The previous one had been screening it in English, like most of the others in Bordeaux, so I assumed this one would be too. I usually go to Utopia, which, for those of you playing along at home, is like Glenbrook cinema, except with hand painted patterned walls inside and cheaper (6 euros a ticket). You can't get there any other way except to walk, but it's relatively close to my house. The cinema I ended up going to is the Gaumont Pathé one which is the equivalent of Hoyts, except things work a bit differently, the seats and theatres are impeccably clean, and it's also cheap (6,30 euros a ticket).
The English trailers before the movie began were all subtitled, not dubbed, so I was off to a good start. And then the movie started, and the first thing I heard was French narration! Haha, it had been dubbed.
As it turns out, this was a fantastic movie as an entrée into the film dubbing world. It took about ten minutes to get used to everyone's mouth moving with the words being different, and learning everyone's new voice so you could identify them off camera, but once I got the hang of it, it was fine. The storyline is quite easy to follow (I'd never read/seen it before, and didn't know the storyline), so even though I couldn't understand everything that was being said, I still had a general idea of what was happening), and Baz Luhrmann's movie making style is usually over the top and incredibly obvious, it was easy to follow actors expressions for emotions. All in all, a good first dubbing experience.
And the movie was pretty good too. I'm going to re-watch it in English later, but for now, I give it a 7.5/10.

1 comment: