Friday 1 March 2013

Tim Tams, Fondue and Salad.

Wednesday was a good day. One of our translation tuts fell off a stage and broke some bone in her body and can't teach for the rest of the semester, so we got that day off (it was a good day because we didn't have to go to uni, not because our tut broke something and not because she's out for the sem, she was a good teacher)! I did just mostly uni work and some grocery shopping. In my travels, I found some Tim Tams in Monoprix! I almost cried when I saw them. Monoprix is one of the further supermarkets from my house (about a 20 minute walk), so I bought 4 packets so I didn't have to go back anytime soon haha.

Not quite sure why it's upside down, but hey, you
know what it is!

That night, we were invited to Jason's for fondue. Ever since having meat fondue at Alexandre, we wanted to try cheese fondue. It's pretty much croutons/stale bread and you dip it into melted cheese. So much yum. As Jason's a chef, he also made a magnificent salad!
I love my Bordeaux group. We all get along really well and are great friends. It's going to be weird going home and not seeing them all the time.

Fondue fundue

Eat up

DESSERT

Nat and I

Lucy and I

The clean up. Somebody broke the 
dishwasher...

Thursday was back into uni, but again, one of our tuts was cancelled because I don't know why. But we were told about it 2 weeks ago, so we've known for a while. Instead of finishing at 5:30, I finished at 3:30pm, so I took the opportunity and did some shopping. I've been looking for a nice one strap/shoulder bag. Like a satchel. Kind of. I thought coming to Europe, leather would be cheaper in general. That was the biggest lie! It's just as expensive, if not more. In general though, leather things over here are of a better quality. In fact, most non-leather/synthetic bags here as just as expensive as leather ones in Australia, but you can't actually tell the difference. Unless you smell it (leather has that nice smell to it. Did you know, there's a leather spray you can buy to spray on non-leather things to give it a leather smell?). Anyway, I've been looking for a while and haven't found anything I've particularly liked/that's anywhere near within my budget. Until I went into this small artisan local store. It was pretty much a guy who had made heaps of things out of leather (kind of with a North American Indian feel to them). He had heaps of bags in there in quite a tough leather. You could tell they were hand made, and they had beautiful leather stamps on them. I thought they would be quite expensive. I ended up walking out with the one I wanted for 40 euros! Such a great purchase! I love supporting local artisans in their trade. Ever since industrialisation occurred, fashion trade skills like leather work, embroidery and beading have just declined. I was so happy with it haha. That night for dinner, I just grabbed a quiche from the local bakery and ate at home.

Today I woke up at 10am and went grocery shopping. I ended up getting serenaded by three french guys as I shopped and came out with heaps of salad stuff, ready to make salads everyday for lunch! I recreated the one Jason made the other night for lunch today - using rocket, pear, cheese (not sure what time, but it had holes!) and balsamic vinegar. I swapped the walnuts for some crushed up cheese bread sticks. YUM!

Making lunch

Half demolished lunch


No comments:

Post a Comment