Friday 26 July 2013

Salamanca.

Salamanca was only a stopover place for the night as we didn't want to sit on a bus for 11 hours to get from Oporto to Madrid.
On our way across the border, we were stopped and our passports check. My passport always seems to get a good going over! The guards always just glance at Nat's, with mine, they have a good flick through it, look where I've been, and nearly always make a comment about my French visa in there. I mean, do I have a drug dealer appearance? Could I be mistaken for one?
On our way into the city, we passed by so many small towns up on hills surrounded by their original fortifications. It was awesome to see! One was almost exactly what it would have been like - a wall surrounding the entire city, with city gates, and from inside you could see stone houses poking up. And the coolest thing was, it wasn't even a tourist city! People were just living their lives there. Awesome!
Anyway, I'm glad we stopped at Salamanca. It was beautiful. I think smaller Spanish towns have been the coolest to see. So much preserved history. The afternoon was just a lax one. We walked around for a bit and did some shopping, and hung out at the main square for after dinner drinks.

Around town


Cathedral - constructed between the 16th and 18th centuries




Inside one of the most amazing cathedrals 
I've ever seen!







At the river

On the bridge, looking back



Main town square

And at night




No comments:

Post a Comment