Thursday 25 July 2013

Oporto.

We definitely had the best hostel in Oporto. It was a design hostel, and it had lots of nooks and crannies with printed arm chairs, and a reading exchange. We walked around town, then went back to cook dinner. It started to rain and was the first time in over a month I've put on a cardigan! It was super refreshing.
I picked up a book from the reading exchange and a massive awesome printed cushion and sat in one of the corners and read (I make myself sound like such a nigel something...). Portuguese is a hard language to pick. The people don't also have a specific look about them. I can usually pick Germans, Hungarians, French people, Spanish and Italians, and sometimes UK people. But Portuguese are from everywhere. They were occupied by Brazil at one point, so there are a lot of dark people, some Spanish people and a lot of Caucasians. But the language is the hardest. It actually sounds like a mix between German and Finnish when spoken.
The next morning we did the free walking tour again and explored town more. I love Spain for its Arabic influence. It reminds me a bit of Turkey. I love arabic patterns. I would love my house to be tiled with printed tiles! I almost bought some, but they're a little heavy to get back and too fragile.
We grabbed some ice cream that afternoon, which legit tasted like clouds!
That night, we went exploring the club centre. We met 3 Aussie guys at the hostel, and they showed us the way, then went into their own club. We kept going to a cafe style place (reminded me of somewhere in Surry Hills with outdoor backyard tables and fairy lights) and grabbed cake (the first chocolate mud cake I've eaten since I left Australia... I don't really eat a lot of junk food anymore). We sat there for a while, then moved to the club street and sat outside a massive restaurant which looked like it was going to become a club later, and Nat had a wine, before heading back.

DAY ONE

Church made to look like a fortress, as the city didn't
originally have one

Oporto

Main square, with the mayor's office at the top

Very expensive palm trees - this site was originally
going to be turned into a car park. But was the palm trees
have been there for so long, residents didn't want to lose the palm
trees, it ended the car park plans. Oporto is apparently the
most fiery and vocal of all Spanish towns, like a law unto themselves.

DAY TWO

At the main square, ready for the walking tour

Inside the most richly tiled train station. 20,000 hand painted tiles!


From the bridge



Main restaurant strip

Boat that used to be used for bringing in Port wine. 
In the background, on the other side, are the wine cellars

A lefties store!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment