Thursday 7 November 2013

Running, Doctors and Old Ladies.

Week 8 of semester two at uni has been done and dusted. Only 6 weeks to go! 

The last week has been quite eventful (in an uneventful kind of way...). 
I've been needing new running shoes for a while now. Surviving on 3 year old ones for the last 10 months of running was kind of ok, until it became rainy season again, and I discovered holes in the bottom of my runners. Not big gaping holes (I couldn't even find them), but I knew they were there based on my sock soakage at the end of a run. I was going to hold off until I got home, and then surprise myself at Christmas with a new pair, but as it has rained everyday for the last week, and me running out of dry socks to run in, I thought it was best I sussed out what was available, and then bought a colourful pair!

I've also signed up for my first race! Racing makes me queasy and uneasy and really nervous, which is why I haven't raced more this year. But this race is on my regular running turf, and I thought I should probably get one in before I come home. So, next public holiday Monday, I'll be number 545 for the 10km run Bridge to Bridge on Bordeaux quays. It's forecasted to rain, so it's probably a good thing I bought those new shoes too!
Another reason I've avoided running competitively this year is because France requires you to have a medical certificate signed and stamped by a doctor saying you're fit enough to do whatever physical activity for however long for any type of athletic competition. Being ironically lazy, I never wanted to go to the doctor, so never had a medical certificate to participate. But, I've booked myself in for an appointment tomorrow lunch time - just after my swim so I'm in peak condition haha. Once that's over and done, I'll only need to pick up my race number and all is well!

Apparently French old ladies llooovvvveee to knit. When I was buying my new shoes, I walked past my regular wool store and noticed they're having a liquidation sale 50% off EVERYTHING! It was only about a week ago I was thinking it would be fun to knit another garment, but wool in France is too expensive. This was like a sign... I'm supposed to be a knitwear designer. The store was closed that day, so I decided to be up and in the store as soon as it opened the next day to avoid midday crowds. Oh Amelia, so very wrong of you. I forgot old people are the champions at getting up early... The store opened at 10am, I was there at 10:05am, and could barely move... I was the last one allowed the store before the doors were shut and a line started out the front. If there had have been music and flashing lights, you could have mistaken it for a nightclub. Except I was the youngest in there by about 40 years... I only bought 12 balls of wool, and I'm pretty sure I bought the least of them all. Most ladies had at least 50 balls on them. The woman behind me had 100 (and just my luck, she was the talkative one who counted and recounted her balls every 5 minutes). It look me an hour and a half waiting in line to pay - seriously, I did actually wait that long. When I left, the line outside the door was at least 10 metres long. Again, nightclub. And, it was raining. Old people are so hardcore in France. I went home and sifted through my many stored knitting patterns, and then just settled on youtube videos of how to make my own. Hands in the air for couture knitting! 

Experimenting with knits

New shoes!

Sweet potato pies!


No comments:

Post a Comment